Thursday, May 10, 2007

Happy Hands

A week ago today my son learned how to clap. It's so cute. Firstly he tentatively placed his hands together. Sometimes he forgot to unclench his fists. He would look at us to make sure we approved. Now he claps his hand on command and when we clap hands. We say "Clap Hands" and he claps. We clap and he claps too. And when I come into his room in the morning, when he is calling out for me, he sits up, gives me a huge smile and claps his hands. I tell him that he is clever, that he is my lovely boy and I give him warm cuddles and I kiss his cheek and neck. It's a nice way to start the day.

Today I dropped my kids off at childcare. I hate doing that. But they are happy there. Georgia has just graduated to the kindy room: "Seahorse Room." She is one of the big kids now. The leaders keep telling me how quickly time has gone; they remember her as a baby! They don't need to tell me how fast time has travelled over the past 3 1/2 years. I know. I have a three year old daughter. When she gets cranky she tells me she won't play with me or invite me to her party. Yesterday she told me she would cut my 'nibble' off with my nail clippers (I was feeding Matthew and she wanted to play with him). At present we are trying to educate Georgia that speaking to us like that is not okay. She gets sent to the back door. Frequently.

Georgie plays beautifully with her baby "brovvy" and I am confident to leave them playing in her room whilst Monte and I have a coffee in the morning. Matty just dotes on his big sister. She makes up songs about how much she loves him and how she wants to look after him, and how she never wants to grow up - she wants them to stay young for ever. She makes up dances and her dancing face is so pretty and graceful.

She is at such an interesting age. She dotes on her family but also gets cross with us. We explain that it's ok to be frustrated but it's not ok to be mean to other people. She feels bad when she's mean and sometimes cries because she loves us and she's sorry. She loves art and craft and being with us but she is also learning to be sneaky, and take things without us knowing. Like yogurts from the fridge and mummy's favourite notepaper (I confess I am a stationery junkie).

I would not swap this for the world. I am very happy with my work and home life. I adore my children and love watching them grow. But geez it happens fast.

No comments: